Allie started piano lessons last month. She is learning by the Suzuki method. There are several aspects of this approach but the highlights are learning to play by listening (not reading music) and strong parent involvement. Children learning by the Suzuki method typically start lessons between the ages of 3 and 4.
Allie is fortunate/cursed that Stuart and I both play the piano. There was never a question she would learn to play too. Stuart was taught with the Suzuki method and I learned the more traditional way. Between the two of us, Stuart is the better pianist. He also has an unbelievable photographic memory - he attributes that to the Suzuki method. Based on those factors, Suzuki it would be for Allie!
The first songs are based on "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." Who knew there could be so many variations! (A Suzuki parent wrote a book How I Survived My First 10,000 Twinkles - I'm sure Stuart and I will appreciate that soon.) Since the variations sound nothing like "Twinkle Twinkle" the piano teacher has made up words to the songs. Allie's first song is "Alabama Hotdog."
2 comments:
So cute!! John Brady and Emma watched the video with me. At the end, John Brady waved to Allie!
OMG! ADORABLE!!
Post a Comment